This engaging puzzle is a unique way to review combining like terms and the distributive property!
This puzzle has two versions – a full page size version and a half page size version that will fit perfectly into your interactive math notebook!
Students LOVE puzzles. Compared to a traditional worksheet, a puzzle is MUCH more fun and engaging. Puzzles force our students to think, whether they want to or not!
Not only will your class have fun, but you don’t need to prep! Just print and go – Easy! Give yourself a break!
This puzzle is version #2 of my first Distributive Property & Combining Like Terms Puzzle. You can get the first one here!
To solve the puzzle, students will simplify each expression by combining like terms and using the distributive property, and match it with the equivalent expression on another piece.
Try using this puzzle in a math station when you are doing rotations. Cut out the pieces ahead of time and laminate them to save time.
How Can You Use this activity?
- Independent Practice
- Group (or Partner) Work
- At Home Practice
- The text is read along the outside of the triangle. If you rotate your triangle, you will easily be able to read all of the text right side up.
- For every spot that the triangles match up, the equation and answer must match up.
- When two triangles (or a triangle and a rectangle) are touching (share a side), they must be a match.
How to solve the puzzle:
- Simplify each expression.
- Match up expressions with their equivalent expressions.
- When matches are found, place the puzzle pieces and work on the next part.
- Make sure that all shared lines represent the same value.
- Once everything matches up, you are finished! Congrats!
- Glue puzzle pieces on worksheet.
What can you do about early finishers?
This is a great puzzle for all skill levels! If you get some early finishers, no big deal! Give them some blank triangles and have them add their own expressions!
You could make it a contest and see who can add the most triangles to their puzzle before the time expires!
Specific Ways to Use This Activity:
- Option 1: Use this activity to mix things up! Print the puzzle and worksheet. Then, have students complete the puzzle, glue it on the worksheet, and turn is as an assignment. There is an optional worksheet that will help your students get organized. Later, you can display these assignments.
- Option 2: Print, cut out, and laminate the puzzle pieces. Then, store in plastic baggies. Distribute to students in groups to solve the puzzle. See who can solve it the quickest!
Distributive Property & Combining Like Terms Puzzle #2 (CCSS 6.EE.A.3)
This puzzle is available for download in two places:
Both downloads are identical in every way. If you download this puzzle directly from me, your purchase goes much farther toward supporting My Math Resources! Either way, your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed – by downloading directly from MyMathResources, you’re giving me the maximum amount of support!
We have Fast, Easy, 100% Secure Checkout with Paypal or Amazon Pay.
After checkout, your download is instantly available. Not ready to download now? No problem. A never-expiring download link is sent to your email.
Thank you, and I hope you enjoy this puzzle! I love to see my resources in action – snap a pic on IG and tag me @mymathresources!